The Bishop Byrne High School

Christopher E. Byrne, a bishop, consolidated St. James High School and St. Mary High School into a single school, which initially had the two campuses but later got a single one. In 1949 the first class of students graduated. In 1965 the school had 500 students. In 1983, 170 students were enrolled.  In 1983 all of the teachers were lay teachers except for a single nun; the school administration believed having more clergy on staff would show a stronger religious image and encourage more people to enroll.

The school closed in 1983. The owners sold the building, and Christus Southeast Texas established outpatient operations in it.

Our Namesake

Bishop Christopher E. Byrne was tall and regal in stance. Loved to be with people. He never forgot a name. Famous for his speaking ability, he guided the Galveston diocese through the Depression and World War II. He was bishop for 32 years.

A native of Byrnesville, Missouri, Bishop Byrne was ordained to the priesthood on September 23, 1891, after completing his studies at St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore, the country’s oldest seminary. Among his many duties and accomplishments were serving as pastor of Holy Name Church in St. Louis, builder of the first Romanesque church in St. Louis, diocesan director of the Holy Name Society and member of the Diocesan School Board.

The Monsignors

Msgr. J. Kirwin

July 1, 1897 – October 3, 1971

Msgr. H. A. Drouilhet

August 4, 1902 – August 16, 1988

Msgr. M. N. Enderle

October 30, 1918 – May 11, 1999

School History

Bishop Byrne High School was the consolidation of two area schools, St. James and St. Mary High Schools. The school opened in 1945, and closed in 1983.

School Song

The school song was introduced to the student body by 3 girls who were running for cheerleader in 1951. It was adapted from a high school song in Enid, Oklahoma.