Bishop Byrne High School was the consolidation of two area schools, St. James and St. Mary High Schools. The school opened in 1945, and closed in 1983.
Here are some of the School Milestones.
- Head football coach was Del Coe Fall 1945 through Spring 1951.
- Colleens first formed as “The St. James Red Cardinals” Miss Sarah Lang (later Sarah Steck) was the first director.
- Opening of Bishop Byrne High School St. James’ Section & St. Mary’s Section
- The first class of Bishop Byrne High School students graduated.
- Moe Richmond takes over as head coach. Assistant coach – Jimmy Bulls.
- Ther 1951 Christopher Yearbook is online. Read more …
- State Champions – Football
- Harold Terrell takes over as head coach. Assistant coach – Jimmy Bulls.
- The 1954 Christopher Yearbook is online. Read more …
- Mary Andrus takes over as Colleen director.
- Bud Tomlin takes over as head coach.
- Pat Rachel takes over as head coach.
- Last BBHS Graduating Classes, St. James’ Section & St. Mary’s Section
- Dedication of new Bishop Byrne High School. The Tradition Continues.
- The school had 500 students.
- The 1966 Christopher Yearbook is online. Read more …
- The 1971 Christopher Yearbook is online. Read more …
- State Finalists TCIL Class 2A Football.
- Read the Tribute to the ’77-’78 SHAMROCKS
- Track – State Title
- Girls Softball – State Title
- The 1980 Christopher Yearbook is online. Read more …
- The 1982 Christopher Yearbook is online. Read more …
- 170 Students are enrolled.
- Bishop Byrne High School closes its doors. The Tradition Ends.
- The owners sold the building, and Christus Southeast Texas established outpatient operations in it.
- Bishop Byrne High School Sec.II Quonset Hut Gymnasium was demolished, the last visible reminder of the school.
- The Bishop Byrne High School Alumni Association presented St. Catherine Elementary School and Sister Thea Bowman Academy with checks for $3,500, proceeds from the 2005 Reunion.
- Due to damage by Hurricane Rita, St. Marty’s Church was closed and merged with Sacred Heart.
- In 2009, the class of 1952 donated a statue for the Prayer & Serenity Garden at St. Mary Hospital in Port Arthur.